Welcome

So this is my only form of contact for the next several weeks. No email. No facebook. No cellphone. No nothing to connect me back home, except for this. Please read it, enjoy it, indulge in it, respond, comment and do whatever else can be done on this blog. I will miss you very much. Thank you. Enjoy.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

East Africa: Day 3: Nairobi

ok ok ok. I realize its been three days since I departed and I am just getting something up on here from within the Kenyan borders. I also realize this is the first my family would have heard from me. As well, I realize that this is not good. But alas, this is Africa, and I am currently pirating a signal from the roof of our hostel. This does not always work. trust me. I tried last night. As well, there is only one laptop that is to be shared amongst seventeen group members. It takes a while before you get a turn.. but its ok, I'm sly. Everyone else is out in a bar watching Ghana play in the world cup, drinking cold beer, and enjoying each other's company and having a good time, while I am on the roof of our hostel, all by myself, pirating internet so I can type on a laptop. ok ok ok, maybe I am missing out on a really god time. ok ok, It would be much more exciting hanging at the bar, but that is beside the point! The point is. I said I would blog. And blog I do.

So, with this blog, I want you to see what I see and try to get a hold on what is really happening out here. And there is alot that is happening out here that you just don't see in Canada. First off; anyone who is a complainer in Canada, don't be. The first thing I learned out here is that life is soooooo incredibly easy back home. Don't ever complain. And if you think I'm being foolish, I will take you to Nairobi and Kibera. That is all you need to see to realize how good we have it.

With that said: story time! There is alot to cover over theses past three days, so I apologize for the upcoming lengthiness of this post. But it'll be a goody. I promise. To make this less lengthy, I am skipping the plane ride stories. There are few. But for those who want to read about it, I will give you an abbreviated version. Got to Toronto, knew everyone who was flying from there (we had all met recently at separate occasions), were introduced to their parents and siblings. Introduced my parents and sibling. Got on plane to Amsterdam. Blackout. well watched the Hurt Locker (really cool movie) ate I think 3 or 4 times on that flight... then series of minor blackouts. Arrived in Amsterdam, walked outside for an hour, re-boarded, flew to Nairobi. Another seven hour trip. Ate equally as much as the ride to Amsterdam. Slept much, much more. Arrived in Nairobi. Now the story begins...

T.I.A.

This term we are beginning to use alot. It means, "this is Africa". And it makes sense. Africa is a world unto its own. You will see this through my (hopefully) numerous posts. For now, lets talk about Nairobi. sorry, sidetrack... but it will makes sense i swear ;)

So we landed in Nairobi in good time, touching down at about 7:45pm. Then we had to get our Visas. This took 2 hours. But we got our Visas, and we were safe, and the matatus (buses) were ready in the parking lot, along with the rest of our group. (I will have to make a seperate post just to talk all about the people who make up the OG East Africa team) Everything is good. We get in the matatu, drive 15 minutes or so to our hostel, just west of the downtown core. Clear all our luggage out of the vehicle and walk into a pitch black building. As it turned out, there was no power. As it turned out, this is not uncommon. So we all strapped on our headlamps, armed our flashlights and ate some delicious food in the connected restaurant at 11:00pm. About 12:30 we were all in bed. Lulling ourselves into a beautiful sleep full of dreams of the wonderment of Africa. 7:00 am we wake.

Ronan (one of our groups leaders) has decided a run would be an excellent idea. So we ran... and by ran, I mean jog... spotted with several stretch/wait for everyone to catch up breaks. So it wasn't so much of a run, but the idea was there. I'm also pretty certain Ronan ditched the run halfway through to go meet up with some friends and drink some delicious milk and hang out in various shops. No, no, I am making him look bad. He didn't go by himself, someone wanted in the group running/jogging/not really wanted to turn around... instead they toured... for 3 hours. slight cause for worry, but the returned safe and sound. I feel as though they were not assaulted by thick black diesel fumes, spewing forth from bus' exhaust pipes as the running group was. This place is very dirty. That doesn't say all that needs to be said about Nairobi.

Upon return to the hostel, everyone felt showers were in order. Apparently, this place is one of the few stops we'll have with hot water. No. This is a lie. Coldest shower of my life. Shortest shower of my life. Not going to lie, I opted to skip being clean today for that very reason. Mom, don't worry, I'll brave it out tomorrow morning.

This was Monday. Monday was also supposed to be a really chilled, relaxed kind of day. No. Another lie. We spent the majority of the day walking through Nairobi. This city blew my mind. It is likely one of the most Westernized cities in all of Africa, but don't let this create an image. It has roads, concrete buildings, markets, shops, street vendors etc etc. but with a twist. Let me try to sum up Nairobi as simply as I can. It doesn't quite fit together. It doesn't seem congruent. It's beautiful, and ugly. It's so incredibly poluted by mass amounts of diesel fumes, garbage in the streets, dirt, dust and debris. It is so astonishingly busy, too. There are 2 million people living here, and they are everywhere. The streets are always crowded with cars, matatus, bikes, taxis. Then, there are the people walking. The sidewalks do not accommodate those. Many times we walk on the road, staring down oncoming traffic, centimeters away as they pass by. I couldn't quite wrap my head around it. So take that idea. Now, I will introduce you to the downtown. This is what made me almost crap my pants.

So, we headed into the downtown core of Nairobi at about 11:30am. Here, we picked up various supplies, took out money (we are all rich out here... very much so. what we exchanged for spending money was just slightly below that of a decent monthly wage) and toured the area. Cellphone shops are everywhere. And in Nairobi, you can buy one for just under 2000 Kenyan Shillings: aprox. $23 american (which is almost par with its canadian counterpart). Food. Incredibly inexpensive. Full meal for 200 Ksh. = about $2.40. It is strange. Then consider what a few dollars can do in terms of aid here in Africa. Seriously. Consider it. An individual can change alot out here.

Anyways, I will be doing alot of talking about what we can do back home to help make a difference in this world so far away from ours. For now, back to Nairobi. A couple hours after our arrival to the downtown, we ate lunch and then travelled to the market.

This needs it's own paragraph.

The Market blew my mind to the point I just wasn't the same anymore. This was a huge collection of vendors spread underneath 12 foot ceilings of tarp and constructed tin roof shelters. They sold all kinds of goods, from fruit neatly displayed on large cardboard sheets, right there on the ground. To tables loaded with various underwears, socks, belts, shirts, pants, skirts clothing, clothing, clothing! Beautiful articles for next to nothing. The place was so full of people. People yelling at us, touching us, lightly punching our shoulders as we passed by, trying to get our attention because they new we were able to make their day one of the best. They new we were wealthy, just becasue of our skin colour, the bags we carried, the cloths we wore. It is so obvious as to how easy our lives are back home. We stress about so much, we worry so much, but never about life. Not in the sense of life or death. People work so hard for food here. And all they see about the West is a good life. Money everywhere. Happy rich people. We have NOTHING to complain about. EVER.
The Market is intense. I don't think I can give it justice. The next time I come on here I will upload some pictures, and even then, they do not fully depict exactly what is going on there. But please, don't get me wrong. Life is not easy, but it doesn't mean people have nothing to live for. The Market is so alive and the people are vibrant. You need to see it.

Anyways, it is time that I finish this post, else it will never be done.
So this was day one. Day to was in Kibera... research it a bit if you want. Then I will tell you what it is really like. For now goodbye. Sweet Dreams. And I will be writing again soon...ish now we are travelling to Navasa.

Cheers! Miss you all.
Much Love, Peace.
Ryan.

6 comments:

  1. so good to hear from you Ryan
    thank you for giving up that cold beer & outing with Africa friends... i'm letting the image of you on the rooftop fill my mind & i can see your smiling face :~)
    so great to be reminded of all that we have to be grateful for - love hearing the little details of it all...
    thank you for sharing Africa with us - keep it coming friend in those stolen moments it is much appreciated!
    Andrew is in PEI & in his absence we experienced the ripples of an earthquake that originated in the Ottawa area yesterday - it was weird & neat b/c we heard, saw & felt it!

    my brother & his family were supposed to arrive in Detroit yesterday from California but haven't heard yet if they made it b/c of tornadoes & severe weather in the Windsor area & Barrie

    taking Claire to see As you like it with Cora on Sat. - $5 tickets! participating with my folks in the filming of The Tempest with Christopher Plummer... we announced OLIVER as Theatre Norfolk's first show of the 2011 season

    thinking about our chats & your words & ideas about shaking things up... created a facebook page 'Theatre Etc.!' to connect people

    one step at a time - one moment at a time - one person at a time - one memory at a time

    thanks again Ryan - looking forward to hearing more about your journey of the heart & mind...

    it helps to know we're sleeping underneath the same great sky! big hugs from our family

    Love Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the post. You made me laugh, cry and reflect. Thank you for being you and painting a very vivid picture of your experience. Peace

    love you
    M :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh Ryan that sounds like funn :) Hahaha Well not the cold shower part but yeah lol... :) cant wait to see the pictures :D

    ohh hehehe and dont for get when you go downtown again, dont forget to get me a baby.. lol Trade it for an Ipod :)

    lol... Faith and i are counting down the days til you come home :) And theres 47 more days lmao...


    Well have fun out there and be safe :)
    Love & miss you
    DTrain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ryan rossalino... I am sitting in the hall after rehearsal laughing out loud and making other audible exclamations of joy, shared experience, and happy anxiety. It makes my heart so warm to know of all you are taking in and how it will change and become more and less intense and especially how your point of view will shape shift and morph. Maybe the most exciting thing a friend can experience, I think.

    Laughing about the "run" (experienced that, with the jogging group slowly whittling down to two of us), wondering how you will feel when you can get a full meal for 25/- in Maragoli (200/- sounds OBSCENE to me) and hoping you got to taste the amazing fruit bowls (with avocado and beets) in the market.

    Got a lovely (all-caps) text from our friend and so happy to read your blogs. Much love being channeled your way.

    Stay open and as ready to love as you obviously are right now.

    Ndugu yako (your brother),

    Ombogo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Felt like I was in the market with you (and can't wait to see the pictures)!

    Thank you for taking the time to pirate some internet access from the rooftop... I am excited your journey has started, and can't wait to read more. I can sense your excitement, joy and frustration, and I know I will learn so much from you with every post!

    I laughed at the "Mom, don't worry" part, haha.. I am sure she appreciated that. Miss you, bro!

    Your little sis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TO has been secured. email exchange needed for details :)

    love m&d

    ReplyDelete