Ten minutes ago I went to a public washroom.
Ten minutes ago I was the most giddy I've been in the past week.
Ten minutes ago I was so happy because I walked into a washroom that had a sink, with soap, and running water. It had tile floors, and tile on the walls. It was clean. I wasn't smacked in the nose by a smell I would rather not consider. There were urinals, not a trough in the floor. There were clean toilets complete with stalls and doors and locks. There was toilet paper. Communal toilet paper outside the stalls, but I was so happy with that discovery that it only added to the awesomeness of the moment.
Nine minutes ago I realized how quickly my standards have changed.
T. I. A.
This is my last day in Kisumu and what a way to end off the stay. This morning we woke early, around 6:45, quickly got some breakfast, which composed of bran flakes, warm whole milk (that likely never goes bad) and a little water. mm mm mmm. I may be becoming cynical. I'm kind of ok with that though. Anyway, we leave the apartment, score a matatu. take the whole thing. The conductor kicked out two kids who were heading to school so we could take the bus. They were like 10. T.I.A. At least they got their fare back. Gosh, this place... I can hardly put into words. We end up at Hippo Point. Get into a couple boats ad head out into the water. Fall asleep on the gently rolling waters. It was beautiful. The new morning sun brightly shining on our tired faces. It was glorious (shout out to Mr. Bedford on that term). Wake up shortly before the boats reach the shores of some lonely village of clay walls and straw roofs. Embark on an adventure down a single dirt pathway inland. Walk for a while. Realize there's not much going on. Turn around. Use the bushes on the side of the road. Back to the boats. Out to a deep section of Lake Victoria. Jump into the beautifully temperate water. Swim. Sing O Canada. Climb back into the boats. Head to lunch. Eat. Nap. Wake. Discuss ecological issues concerning Lake Victoria. Head to the mall. Buy a double espresso and cake. Enjoy the deliciousness of the moment. Head to the washroom. Become overjoyed. Now I am here.
This day has been amazing.
Tomorrow we head out to Miragoli. I can't wait. Neither can the rest of the team. Especially Emanuel and Luke, who are from Miragoli. I wonder how I'll feel come the last day in Lamu. But that's so far into the future. For now, I am enjoying today. Not to mention we're clubbing tonight!
So all in all, everything we've done in Kisumu. The frightening welcome we had when we first arrived, being swarmed by a mob of excited children after an uncomfortable 7 hour matatu ride. Then after getting everything into the apartment with no power, with no water, having to listen as these children banged on our metal door with sticks. It was a strange sensation. An odd moment. Then follow that with a sing along of "I'm Yours" in the dark... it about sums up a day in Africa: You could be so low, so scared, so concerned, so sad, so repulsed at one moment, and then something so simple would make the day alright in the end. That is what my trip has been so far. Definitely consider this a roller coaster. Where else can I walk into a slum, walk out of a slum, swim in a hotel pool and then drink passion juice on the roof of that same hotel? Where else can you immerse yourself in such poverty, and then just leave? Then realize because of where you came from, that's why you can do what you do here. Talk about a mind blitz. (I'm totally subbing that word in for something much more harsh)
So that's how it goes out here. I'm interested in learning more about what can be done to help, both back home and on the ground. So I am quite excited once everything is said and done. But for now. It's time I enjoy the remaining hours of the day.
Miss you,
love you.
peace.
Ryan
Ryan... so grateful for your notes... thank you for sharing & reminding me of things i had forgotten or showing me through your eyes things i didn't know... i SO needed it... i remember moments of being dropped on my head when i lived in Paris & they were small bumps compared to what you are experiencing in Africa...
ReplyDeleteWould you believe we spent part of Canada Day sharing stories with Claire about our world travels & washroom experiences?! LOL Even through the great distant we were connected through shared experiences & laughter :~)!
keep sharing friend!
it helps to know we're sleeping underneath the same great sky! XO from the Couturiers