Welcome

So this is my only form of contact for the next several weeks. No email. No facebook. No cellphone. No nothing to connect me back home, except for this. Please read it, enjoy it, indulge in it, respond, comment and do whatever else can be done on this blog. I will miss you very much. Thank you. Enjoy.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Early Morning in Busia

Good Morning!

Right now it is about 9am in Kenya and I am writing this blog from an internet cafe on the Kenya-Uganda border. The really exciting thing is that last night my team crossed the border, while I stayed behind. Why, might you ask? Well I will tell you why...

On the fourth day in Nairobi I left my passport in our hostel. It was that day we took a matatu for four hours to Naivasha. It was shortly after we arrived at the new location that it was discovered missing. This was over the weekend. So, Friday night, Saturday and Sunday there was little effort made in securing the location of the vanished document. We had made a few phone calls to the hostel, but that was about it. Monday we travelled to Kisumu, which is about 9 hours away from Nairobi, which is where the High Commission of Canada resides. So, that evening I was in a shuttle headed back to that insane, over-populated, over-poluted, crazy-time city to see what could be done in regards to obtaining a new passport in 2 weeks or less (when typically it takes three). Now this was an excellent experience. There was hardly any planning involved and a very small timeline to work with. We arrive in Nairobi at about 11:30pm. Now for somewhere to sleep...

Thank goodness for the beauty of conversation. While on the shuttle, Ronan asked a man sitting beside us where he usually stays when in Nairobi. Thankfully he had an answer. And a willingness to walk us there. And it was very nice, affordable, complete with a hot shower, mosquito nets and breakfast included in the price. That made me happy. So we had somewhere to sleep, and sleep we did, just to wake up at 7:30 the next morning to take on the day... which included a trip to the police station, several banks in attempt to have some American currency on our person, a new passport photo at a place that has never taken a photo for a Canadian Passport (that was a long winded and interesting hour and a half) and finally a trip to the Embassy. I tell you, it was quite a day. And after pulling a few strings, pushing a few people to stay past closing and some over seas cooperation with a family member; we did it. And were able to meet up with the team at our appartment in Kisumu before they woke up. Mind you it was 3am when we arrived... but still, I am quite proud of what was accomplished that day in Nairobi.

2 weeks later the team is in the Kakamega Rainforest and we hadn't heard if the passport was ready for pickup yet. The problem with this situation is that we are crossing the border the night of the following day. I need my passport. This was also made quite clear to those we were working with at the consolate's office, and it was promised to be ready before we left... in fact it was promised to be ready late the previous week. So, we are in the rainforest, we call the High Commission, they tell us it's ready. I have to go into town to talk with a delivery company and try my ass off to get the impossible done: have that document picked up and dropped off in the same day. . . didn't work. Instead I decided to have it delivered to the border town that I am writing from right now.

It is Busia. Nothing too exciting. Then again I haven't been here for very long. I was dropped off at a hotel at about 3:30am and have been awak for about an hour and a half. Most of which has been spent in my hotel room, at a breakfast cafe, and now at a cyber cafe. The team is in Jinja. They arrived at about 6 or 7 in the morning and are getting ready to raft the Nile... and then bungee jump if they have the money (or visa versa). I can't really do either... so that's why I'm here. The fact that today is likely one of the most extreme days on this trip is why no one would stay behind. But honestly, I like the independence. Alot. It is really exciting trying to navigate a town I have never been in before in a county I have only spent three and a half weeks in.

What a trip.

So, the game plan today is to pick up my parcel at a DHL location known as G4S sometime between 10-11. Find some transit to Jinja (which is about 3 hours away) and join up with the team... again... I do this departing from the team thing quite often now... hm. interesting.

Alright. Well I best get going. I have no idea how far the delivery depot is... could be a distance.

Farwell for now.
miss you terribly,
much love
peace.

Ryan

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy your day of independence. Murphy's Law sometimes works in your favour, now you don't have to wrestle with, "risk the ACL for the thrill of the bungee jumping at the Nile". Now, tatoo the new passport number on your butt or at least send it home in the unlikely event it is "misplaced" again :P
    Stay safe.
    love & peace
    M:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My colleagues had to ask me while I was audibly gasping while reading your entry. This is crazy.

    Don't worry..Jinja is only about 1.5 hours from Busia. Beautiful roads too. I thought it was Florida. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking about you this week Ryan as i take real steps on my own & with others on a path to create & bring to the stage the kinds of theatre you & i talked about... connecting with so many amazing mentors... there is no going back

    you are a mentor for many in the way that you are in the world... you are inspiring me, making me laugh, gasp, sigh, worry, reflect,

    i miss your smile & way of being...

    it is the journey dear friend not the destination - so grateful you are sharing your African journey

    with loving kindness,

    Lisa xo

    ReplyDelete